Don’t be a victim when you travel!
Travelers who are ignorant of their surroundings can make easy targets for thieves because they stand out in a crowd. They generally carry cash, credit cards and valuables like video cameras, cameras and/or computers. By following a few safety tips tourists can reduce the risk of being mugged or robbed. It is a good idea to research the safety of your intended destination by consulting your travel agent, or see if any of your friends have traveled to the same destination and discuss with them their experiences while they were there.
General Safety Tips
- Research your destination before you get there.
- Familiarize yourself with your surroundings as quickly as possible as soon as you arrive.
- Keep your travel plans and accommodation details as discreet as possible.
- Don’t hitch hike.
- Avoid less attractive areas of the cities you travel, especially at night.
- Ask your hotel manager for advice on the safe areas to visit.
- City streets that include children and women may suggest the area is safe for families.
- Keep a photocopy of your passport and all other important documents in a safe place.
- Use ATMs during the day, when there are people around.
- Try to rely more on credit cards and travelers cheques. Try not to use cash.
- If you are mugged, don’t fight back. Give them what they want, material things can be replaced.
- Avoid incidents such as fights, riots or any other disturbance, do not let your curiosity get the better of you.
If you were planning to move your family to another neighborhood in your own country, there are certain safety tips that you would follow or questions that you would ask yourself before you moved.
Safety Tips or Questions
- What is the neighborhood like,
- Is it safe for my family,
- Are their recreation facilities for my family to enjoy,
- What are the schools like,
- What are the people like that are in the neighborhood.
Traveling to another country to vacation with your family is like moving to another neighborhood in your own country. Research your destination before you leave making sure that it is safe for your family. Also, make sure that there is enough recreation for every member of your family to enjoy that is close to the hotel. This way your family does not have to stray too far from your hotel. Familiarize your self with your destination once you get there as quickly as possible. It is going to be your home for the duration of your trip.